Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Tick off the ingredients as you buy them
1. Wash the mussels well, removing all the debris on the shells with a wire brush and remove the beards.
2. In a deep pan, add 2 tbsp. olive oil, peeled garlic clove and some chopped parsley. Heat on warm for a few minutes then add mussels and white wine. Allow the alcohol to evaporate then cover with a lid. Once the shells have opened, take the pan off the heat. Discard mussels that haven’t opened.
3. Once cooled slightly, remove mussels from shell. Filter the mussel cooking liquid and leave to the side.
4. In a frying pan, sauté the chopped garlic and chilli flakes in a tbsp of olive oil. Then add the passata and a pinch of salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Add in the mussels and the filtered liquid to the sauce. Mix well and cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in salted boiling water until al dente. Drain and add to the cooking sauce.
6. Plate the pasta into 4 bowls and serve with fresh chopped parsley.
For presentation, leave a few cooked mussels in their shells to add on top of plated pasta.