Preparation time: 20 mins
Rest Time: 2 hrs (or overnight)
Tick off the ingredients as you buy them
1. Pour cold water over the bread to cover, soak for 15 minutes
2. Drain and squeeze excess water, put in processor
3. Add tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, garlic, vinegar and olive oil
4. Process all in a blender until smooth
5. Pass ¾ of mixture through a sieve, pressing to extract all the juice.
6. Throw out solids.
7. Stir in the rest of the gazpacho
8. Add the passata
9. Mix together
10. If you prefer a smooth soup, sieve all.
11. Add salt and pepper to taste
12. Chill soup for about 2 hours or overnight. It’s best to make it a day in advance to really enhance the flavour
13. Top with croutons*
* Croutons: Slice old baguettes or lay out square bread slides. Make a mixture of olive oil, a little garlic paste and salt to taste. Brush over the bread. Cut into squares, stick in the oven at 160 C until toasty. (Alternatively, cut into squares and sauté olive oil mixture with bread squares in a skillet).