Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 50 mins
Tick off the ingredients as you buy them
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy cast iron skillet. Sear chicken on both sides until golden, about 3-4 minutes each side. Remove from skillet and set aside.
3. Add remaining oil to the pan. Sauté the onion until transparent, about 3-4 minutes. Add in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the peppers, carrot, mushrooms and herbs; cook for 5 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
4. Pour in the wine, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Cook until wine is reduced for about 2 minutes.
5. Add tin of Val Verde Diced Italian Tomatoes, 1 bottle of Val Verde Passata, tomato paste and chilli flakes.
6. Season with salt and pepper to your tastes. Return chicken pieces to the skillet and continue to cook over stove top OR in the oven following the instructions below.
FOR STOVE TOP:
Mix all of the ingredients together; cover with lid, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer (while stirring occasionally) for 40 minutes. Add in the olives, allow to simmer for a further 10 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil and parsley, serve immediately.
FOR THE OVEN:
Transfer the covered skillet to a preheated oven at 190°C and cook for 50 minutes. Remove the lid, add in the olives and cook for an additional 20 minutes until the chicken is tender and the sauce has reduced. Garnish with fresh basil and parsley, serve immediately.