Recipe by Head Chef Francesco Rota
Trattoria Emilia, Melbourne
Video Recipe : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8bC3v0e_i4
Preparation time 2 hrs 30 minutes
Tick off the ingredients as you buy them
1. Put 200 ml lukewarm water and dissolve the yeast.
2. Mix the flour in a bowl and make a small hole in the centre of the flour. Pour the water with yeast and start kneading.
3. Add the salt and continue kneading until it's a homogeneous, nice firm dough.
4. Put the dough back in the bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let it prove for 2 hours.
5. Once risen, knock it back down and roll the dough on the surface to form a big ball. Cut into half, press down the dough and dust with some flour. Stretch it out with a rolling pin to a thickness of ½ cm.
6. Place the drained mozzarella on the dough followed by some warm Val Verde passata. Top with few basil leaves and fold the dough over the filling to a half moon shape. Pat down the edges of the filling to ensure there are no air pockets inside.
7. Using a cutter, slice through the dough to form the shape.
8. Pour the oil into a large pan and once it is hot, drop in the panzerotto and fry until golden.
9. Place them on a paper towel to absorb any extra oil and serve immediately.