Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Tick off the ingredients as you buy them
1. Trim the ends off the eggplant then dice into chunks. Place the eggplant into a large mixing bowl and season with sea salt and let sit to remove the moisture. After 15 minutes of resting, use a paper towel to pat try and remove any excess moisture.
2. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large frying pan and add the eggplant. If you have a smaller frying pan cook the eggplant in small batches so it cooks evenly. Cook eggplant until slightly golden and soft for about 5 – 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the garlic, dried oregano and pepper flakes to the eggplant mixture and cook for another two minutes until fragrant.
4. Add the tin of tomato and passata and reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 – 15 minutes. Taste at this point and season with salt and pepper as required.
5. While the sauce is cooking, cook the penne in a large saucepan of salted boiling water according to packet instructions until al dente. Drain and return to the saucepan, reserving a small cup of the pasta water.
6. Pour the tomato sauce over the pasta. If required add the reserved pasta water to loosen the sauce slightly.
7. Divide the pasta into serving bowls and top with ricotta salata and fresh basil.
8. Serve immediately.
Recipe created by Lisa Eats World