Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 45 mins
Tick off the ingredients as you buy them
1. Rinse your calamari. If your calamari has the head or tentacles still attached, chop them up and add them to the pot at the same time that you add the onion.
2. In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly until soft and translucent. Add the grated carrots to the pot and cook for 2 - 3 more minutes.
3. Add the grated tomato, dill, parsley and oregano to the pot and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, stirring regularly. Next add in the rice and stir.
4. After a minute or 2 add the wine and the Val Verde Passata to the pot. Add the salt, pepper and lemon zest and stir over medium heat for 2 -3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
5. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
6. Prepare your baking dish by greasing the bottom with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
7. Begin stuffing your calamari. Using a small spoon fill each calamari tube about halfway with the rice mixture. Use a toothpick to close the opening so that the filling does not fall out.
8. Place your stuffed calamari in your baking dish. If you have any filling left over add it to the baking pan, between the stuffed calamari.
9. In a small bowl mix together the Val Verde Passata and water and pour it over the calamari. Then, drizzle the olive oil over the stuffed calamari.
10. Bake, covered, on the bottom rack of your oven for 30 minutes.
11. Remove the cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes, adding more water to the pan if required.
12. Serve the stuffed calamari with some of the sauce and rice from the baking pan.