Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 30 minutes
Tick off the ingredients as you buy them
1. Cut stale bread into slices and soak in water.
2. Finely chop the onion, carrot and celery. In a large pot, lightly fry with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil until soft.
3. Pour in the passata, cover with lid and simmer for 15 minutes on a low heat.
4. Squeeze the stale bread to remove the water. Crumble the bread into the pot. Stir well.
5. Simmer for a further 10 minutes on a low heat.
6. Purée the garlic and add to the pot. Also add the basil leaves.
7. Remove soup from the heat and stir through a generous pour of extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with lid and set aside for at least one hour.
8. Reheat on low heat before serving.